Mobile Menu - OpenMobile Menu - Closed

Cases I Can Help You With

Before you contact my office for assistance with your case, it is a good idea to first determine if your concern is something my office has the authority and jurisdiction to help you with.    

I can help you if you need assistance dealing with a federal agency. A federal agency is an organization that reports to the Executive branch of the United States Government such as the Social Security Administration (SSA), the Internal Revenue Service (IRS), the Postal Service (USPS), and the Department of Homeland Security (DHS), to name a few. If your concern is with a federal agency, my casework staff is authorized to investigate on your behalf.

Remember: you must have already filed an application, petition, formal complaint or otherwise contacted the federal agency in writing before my office can lend a hand.


Cases I Cannot Help You With

Unfortunately, I cannot help you if your problem is with a state or local agency, or if it is a judicial or civil matter before the courts. Examples of local & state issues include:

  • Lost driver's license              
  • Worker's compensation
  • Medi-Cal benefits                 
  • Section 8 housing
  • Insurance fraud                         
  • Police and criminal investigations
  • Child support

For any of the above problems, please contact the appropriate state or local official. You can find out who your local representatives are by typing in your address at the State Legislature Web site.

Because of the constitutional separation of powers, judicial matters (matters before the courts) do not fall under my jurisdiction as a member of Congress. Examples of judicial matters include:

  • Deportation proceedings or any matter before immigration courts
  • Divorce, child custody or other civil disputes
  • Criminal trials


Things You Should Know

  • According to the U.S. House of Representatives Committee on Standards of Official Conduct, I can not act as an attorney or offer legal assistance in any way.
  • While I will make my best efforts to assist you, please remember that federal agencies have discretion concerning decisions on individual cases and have the final say on the outcome.  

Click here to return to my Casework home page.